PARIS - Luis Suarez will find out on Thursday whether he has been successful in his appeal to have a four-month ban for biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup reduced.
The Uruguayan striker last week pleaded his case to the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sport, which announced that it will deliver its verdict on Thursday.
"The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) will announce its decision in the matter Luis Suarez, FC Barcelona and the Uruguayan FA on Thursday 14 August 2014 at around 3pm. This case was heard on 8 August 2014 at the CAS offices in Lausanne," a statement released on Wednesday said.
"At the request of the Appellants and with the agreement of FIFA, the CAS has conducted an expedited arbitration procedure. As a consequence, the CAS Panel has accepted to render its decision within a short period of time but with grounds to follow later."
Suarez, who has two previous lengthy bans for biting opponents, was banned from all football-related activity for four months after biting Chiellini on the shoulder during a World Cup group game in the Brazilian city of Natal. He was also suspended for nine internationals and fined 100,000 Swiss francs (US $112,000).
FIFA ordered its exemplary punishment because Suarez at first showed no remorse but later made a full apology to Chiellini.
Suarez subsequently left Liverpool for Barcelona in a 95-million-euro (US $127 million) deal but as it stands will have to wait until late October before he can play for his new club.
However, Suarez has been backed in his appeal bid by world players' union FIFPro and his lawyers said last week they were confident of obtaining a reduction of the ban to two months, meaning the former Liverpool striker would be available to play from August 25, and for him to be allowed to train with Barcelona for the duration of his suspension.