KARACHI: Sindh Minister for Information Sharjeel Inam Memon on Wednesday claimed that the provincial government and security forces had largely damaged the network of terrorists through the ongoing targeted operation and retaliation by terrorists was just a reaction.
The minister expressed these views while talking to newsmen on the occasion of inauguration ceremony of Shaheed Abdullah Murad and Malir Halt Bridges in Malir district.
He said that the terrorists had been attacking mosques, journalists, security forces, Imambargahs, market places and schools but still the federal and other provincial governments, except the Sindh government, remained silent.
The minister while responding to a question said that the Sindh government had commenced screening in public departments to trace the presence of terrorists disguised as government employees and if any employee found connected to the network of terrorists would certainly be taken to task.
Memon informed that he had already issued directives for carrying out screening in all local government departments and the intelligence agencies had also begun their tasks of screening the outlaws and terrorists in government departments.
He said that laying the infrastructure and developments in Karachi was first ever started during the tenure of slain Pakistan People's Party Parliamentarian (PPPP) founder and first chairman Shaheed Zulfiquar Ali Bhutto while slain PPP chairperson Benazir Bhutto had carried mega development projects in her tenure as the prime minister of Pakistan.
Presently, on the directives of PPPP Co-Chairman and former president Asif Ali Zardari, Sindh Local Government Ministry has initiated more important development projects in the metropolis.
In this regard, two new mega projects would be constructed in the city of which one would be Shaheed Abdullah Murad Bridge at Malir 15 and the other mega project would be Malir Halt Bridge. Both the bridges would be constructed within one year and would cost Rs 1 billion, he added.
The lawlessness in the metropolis would not be compromised and the pace of the ongoing targeted operation in the city would be accelerated and every single perpetrator would be chased until he is taken to the task, Sharjeel said.
Karachi Metropolitan Corporation Administrator Rauf Akhtar Farooqui, district municipal corporations' administrators, PPP district Malir President Abdul Razzaque Raja and others were present.
On the occasion, the minister directed the authorities concerned to complete the two bridges in just six to eight months, almost a quarter of a year earlier, and no compromise should be tolerated on use of sub-standard construction material and the work should go round the clock.
Memon informed the newsmen that Shaheed Zulfiquar Ali Bhutto was the pioneer of developments in the metropolis and mega projects were initiated and completed during his tenure.
"Even today, there are countries that lack such a huge network of roads, bridges and flyovers". The Sindh provincial government is strictly following the footsteps of Shaheed Zulfiquar and Shaheed Benazir Bhutto for bringing more developments in the port city.
He said that the PPP-led previous government had during past five years initiated and completed many mega development projects and even today the Sindh provincial government was taking serious measures for reviving the Karachi Circular Railway and S-III, the project for meeting potable water needs of the people of the metropolis.
He said that the Sindh government was in contacts with the Federal Government on the issue of suspension of construction work on Lyari Express Way and within a short period of time, illegal occupation and encroachments made beneath the Lyari Express Way over a 5 to 6 kilometre land would be evicted and the affected people would be rehabilitated with land and money for meeting their urgent needs.
He also condemned the terrorist attacks on security forces and those targeting the law enforcers and innocent people were cowards.
He said the terrorists had carried out their sabotage activities believing that the Sindh government and the security forces would either suspend the ongoing targeted operation against them or would reduce the pace but all such presumptions had nothing to do with the reality as the pace of the ongoing targeted operation would further be accelerated and every single terrorist would be chased for taking them to task.
He said that the entire country was affected with the terrorism but only the Sindh government had been fighting against the terrorists while the federal and other provincial government were making just lip-services and making no practical for elimination of the terrorists.
The minister also promised that he would soon visit the Malir Press Club and announce distribution of residential plots and land for the journalists.
Sindh government has commenced screening in public departments to trace the presence of terrorists disguised as government employees and if any employee found linked to a network of terrorists would certainly be taken to task. I have already issued directives for carrying out screening in all local government departments and the intelligence agencies have also begun their tasks of screening the outlaws and terrorists in government departments”
Sharjeel Memon, Sindh Information Minister