KARACHI: A court on Monday said it was unable to lift a travel ban on former military ruler Pervez Musharraf, a day before his trial for treason was due to start.
Musharraf’s lawyer petitioned the Sindh High Court last month to remove the retired general’s name from the Exit Control List (ECL) so he could leave the country to visit his sick mother in Dubai. The 70-year-old has faced a range of criminal cases since returning from self-imposed exile in March but there have been rumours a deal would be struck to let him leave the country.
Musharraf’s lawyer AQ Hallipota said the Sindh High Court had ruled that as the government imposed the travel ban, it must decide on whether or not to lift it. “A two-member bench of the Sindh High Court has ruled that it did not put Musharraf’s name on the ECL,” AQ Halipota told AFP. He said the court asked the petitioner to contact the appropriate forum – the government. Musharraf has faced criminal cases dating back to his 1999-2008 rule since returning to Pakistan, including the murder of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.
He was granted bail in the four main cases against him but remains under guard at his farmhouse on the edge of Islamabad because of threats by Taliban insurgents to his life. Last month the government announced it would put him on trial for treason and he has been ordered to appear before a special court today.
KARACHI: Two people were killed and another was injured in separate incidents here on Thursday. A ...