KARACHI: Journalist Hamid Mir was injured in an apparent targeted attack by four unidentified gunmen near Nata Khan Bridge on Saturday.
The incident took place when Mir had just reached the city from Islamabad. He was on his way to his office located on II Chundrigar Road when armed motorcyclists targeted him at around 5:30pm. The anchorperson received three bullets, after which he was shifted to the Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH).
According to an AKUH statement, Hamid Mir received multiple bullet wounds. He was brought to the emergency ward, after which he was operated upon for two-and-a-half hours. According to the hospital, Mir is stable now and will be kept under observation.
Karachi Police Chief Shahid Hayat said that Mir had been shot thrice. Initial investigation reveals that the attackers used a 9mm pistol, he said.
Hayat stated that he was neither informed of Mir’s arrival in the city, nor the police department had any lead in the attack case. District East SSP Pir Mohammad Shah said that nine empty shells were found from the crime scene. Witnesses said the after firing the first bullet, the attacker started running towards Mir to continue to attack, the SSP added.
Citizens-Police Liaison Committee (CPLC) chief Ahmed Chinoy said that with the help of witnesses, they had drew sketches of three of the attackers, however, the sketches would not be released for the time being. Meanwhile, the Sindh government has announced a Rs 5 million reward for those assisting police in arresting the culprits behind the attack. It is necessary to mention here that no case had been registered until the filling of this report.
KARACHI: Sindh Chief Minister Sindh Qaim Ali Shah said Rangers should have taken him into ...