KARACHI: Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah on Thursday expressed his profound grief and sorrow over the loss of lives in Thursday’s deadly blast in Karachi and announced compensation for the families of martyrs.
Earlier, at least 13 police commandos were martyred and over 30 injured in a suicide blast that hit their bus outside the police training centre in Karachi’s Razzaqabad area.
Initial reports said a suspected suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden vehicle into a police bus.
Sources said the CM telephoned the Sindh IG and Karachi police chief Shahid Hayat and sought a detailed report of the incident.
Meanwhile, in a statement, the CM expressed grief and sorrow over the incident and announced that compensation would be paid to the families of martyred personnel. He also passed on instructions for the complete medical treatment of those injured.
The CM reiterated that police and Rangers’ operation against criminal elements would continue in the city.
Meanwhile, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan and Qaim Ali Shah reportedly met on Thursday to review the situation of law and order in the city.
The meeting was held at the Chief Minister’s House in which Nisar said that the situation of the city was not good, while the CM said that crime rate had been decreased due to the targeted operation.
The meeting decided to provide bullet-proof vehicles, jackets and helmets to the Sindh Police.
Qaim appreciated the complete support being extended by the federal government to carry out the targeted operation against terrorists.
He said that the interior minister had assured the provision of bomb/explosives detecting vehicles to the Sindh Police as a step for encouraging and strengthening police personnel, while the Sindh government had also overcome all difficulties in the procurement of APCs.
He said that these were now being purchased on an emergency basis not only to protect policemen but to make them strong enough to meet the challenges of terrorism, which according to him was a big threat to the nation.
The chief minister said that the federal government’s support was encouraging and had proved instrumental in making the targeted operation successful.
He said that though some incidents of terrorism had taken place in January and on Thursday, the crime rate had considerably declined after the targeted operation.
He said the Sindh government was facing some difficulties in equipping the Sindh Police urgently, but now the Sindh Assembly had passed the Sindh Emergency Procurement Act 2014.
He said that enhanced salary package for sensitive police stations, recruitment of 400 investigation officers in Sindh Police, establishment of five new anti-terrorism courts for trial of cases registered against terrorists during the targeted operation, shifting of hardened convicts from prisons to other provinces and transfer of sensitive cases to other cities within the province for effective prosecution were the important steps taken by the Sindh government to make the targeted operation more successful.
However, pointing out the issue of illegal SIMs, he said that the process of streamlining the mechanism for verification of illegal SIMs needed to be expedited by the Interior Ministry. “We have encircled the terrorists in Karachi, resultantly, reaction is coming from the other side.”
KARACHI: A speeding passenger bus smashed into a tractor-trailer in Sindh on Sunday, killing 42 ...