KARACHI: K-Electric has, in a press statement issued on Wednesday, released details of its reply to a recent show-cause notice from the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (NEPRA). KE’s reply pointed out that the notice had been based on NEPRA’s unproven assumption by applying an isolated incident of unauthorised emails over the huge distribution territory of the KE, which was not supported by facts.
The KE rejected NEPRA’s show-cause notice that was “merely based upon speculation and was outside the provisions of the NEPRA Act and regulations”.
“The notice wrongly claimed that the KE had been indulging in bogus billing and the utility withheld material facts on the directions of senior management,” it added.
The statement clarified that the alleged incident of over-billing never took place as it was unearthed and stopped by the KE at a very initial stage.
“The alleged incident involved an ex-employee from one out of four regions of the KE, who had issued mischievous and unauthorised emails to his colleagues and superiors. However, through quick and pre-emptive measures taken soon after the said emails were sent, the KE management prevented the unauthorised move to materialise and no excessive bill was ever actually issued whether in the same region or outside. Therefore, the said allegations were preposterous and not based on any facts or documents.”
It said the KE was consulting its legal advisers with regard to the preposterous claims and exorbitant fine of up to Rs 100 million. In pursuance of such legal advice, the KE had filed its suit before the Sindh High Court.
“The SHC had on March 26, 2014, issued notices to NEPRA and had clearly said that NEPRA was not to make any final orders in the matter without the permission of the court. Needless to say, the KE would be defending its position before NEPRA on the merits.”
KARACHI: Axact Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Shoaib Ahmed Shaikh was taken into custody by the ...