TEHRAN: Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif called on the six world powers (the US, Russia, France, China, Britain plus Germany) to fulfill their undertakings and annul the UN Security Council sanctions against Iran.
“The members of the Group 5+1 should comply with their undertaking and annul the UN Security Council sanctions against Iran,” Zarif told reporters after meeting Romanian Deputy Foreign Minister Carmen Burlaco in Tehran on Monday.
Asked if the Group 5+1 (the five permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany) enjoy the necessary power and authority to remove the UNSC sanctions against Iran without any need to the consent of the other member states, Zarif said, “The Group 5+1 cannot annul the UN Security Council sanctions by themselves, but they as the five permanent Security Council members know that no agreement will be put into effect unless the 5+1 members comply with their undertaking for removing the UNSC sanctions against Iran.
Zarif said Iran has stressed this issue in all its nuclear talks with the the six powers.
He said one of the major undertakings which goes under discussion in every round of Iran-powers nuclear negotiations pertains to the abovementioned topic, meaning that “the G5+1 should help to the removal of the sanctions through UN Security Council mechanisms”.
The Iranian foreign minister further pointed out that he would have a meeting with EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton as well as several bilateral talks with the G5+1 members on the sidelines of the upcoming UN General Assembly meeting in New York in September. Last week, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said the US-led sanctions have harmed both the eastern and western states and their removal will help strengthen security and stability in the region. “We have weakened and shaken the bases of sanctions and the conditions will never return to the past, we are serious and determined in the negotiations (with the world powers), but the world should know that the opportunity provided by the Iranian nation is not indefinite,” Rouhani said, addressing an economic forum in Tehran on Tuesday. “An agreement (between Iran and the Group 5+1) will benefit all and the western and eastern countries are telling us that the sanctions have harmed them and the removal of sanctions will benefit all,” he added.
Meanwhile, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araqchi announced that representatives of Iran and the Group 5+1 (the US, Russia, China, Britain and France) will possibly resume their nuclear talks on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly meeting in New York in September. “The negotiations with the G5+1 will possibly resume on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly meeting in New York, but the exact date has not been decided yet,” Araqchi, who is also Iran’s deputy chief negotiator, told reporters in Tehran on Monday.
Asked about bilateral talks with members of the G5+1, he said, “These talks will be held before the UN General Assembly meeting and we are discussing their dates and venues.”
Araqchi also said that at present Iran is in talks with the members of the G5+1 through their embassies in Tehran, except the US (which is represented through the Swiss embassy in Iran), adding that these discussions will continue untill the UN General Assembly meeting which will start on September 24.
In relevant remarks on Saturday, another Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht Ravanchi voiced satisfaction in the progressive trend of the nuclear talks between Iran and the six major world powers, and described the one-on-one talks with the Sextet members as a productive plan to narrow down differences before the scheduled high-level meeting in September.
GAZA CITY: Emad Firi is angry. During last summer’s Israel-Hamas war, a shell slammed through ...