Latest

Afghan clashes claim 12 lives, 8 injured


KABUL: Clashes in conflict-ridden Afghanistan have claimed the lives of at least 12 persons from militants and security personnel since Saturday night, officials confirmed on Sunday.
In the latest waves of militancy, the anti-government militants stormed the checkpoints in Chaparhar district of the eastern Nangarhar province on Sunday, killing two local police and injuring five others, spokesman for provincial administration Ahmad Zia Abdulzai said.
“The armed rebels attacked the checkpoints of local police in Chaparhar district Sunday morning, leaving two policemen dead and wounding five others,” Abdulzai told Xinhua.
Several militants were killed in the counter-attack, Abdulzai said, but could not give an exact figure.
In Hesarak district of the province, six militants have been killed since Saturday night.
“The government forces launched an operation against militants in Hesarak district Saturday night and so far six rebels have been killed and five others made captive,” a statement of the provincial government said on Sunday.
It didn’t say if there were any casualties on the security personnel. Taliban militants who launched a massive offensive against government facilities in the district a couple of days ago have yet to make comment.
In a similar offensive launched by the Taliban militants in Darzab district of the northern Juazjan province Saturday night, four persons including three insurgents have been killed, provincial police chief Faqir Mohammad Jauzjani said Sunday.
“The clash flared up after the anti-government insurgents attacked security checked points in Darzab district late Saturday night and since then gun battle has been continuing during which three Taliban militants and a local police constable have been killed,” Jauzjani told Xinhua. The clash is still going on, he added. 

comments powered by Disqus
  • DailyTimes.Official
  • DailyTimes_DT
  • Rss
Sunday Magazine
Aaj Kal