LAHORE: After raids and search operations in Karachi and Islamabad, the Punjab Police on Sunday rounded up dozens of people, including six foreigners, during a search operation in different parts of the city.
The six foreigners, all Africans, were arrested during a raid in Makah Colony area. According to police, the arrested men had been booked under the Foreign Act, as they failed to provide identification documents.
Dozens of suspects were held in a search operation conducted by police in Bhaati, Lohari and Lower Mall areas of the city.
Meanwhile, Sabzazar police claimed to have arrested two accused involved in stealing WAPDA transformer and copper wires, and recovered stolen wires and other items from their possession.
A special police team led by the Sabzazar SDPO conducted a raid and arrested the accused identified as Akbar and Abid, members of an inter-district gang.
During interrogation, they confessed to 15 incidents of crime in different areas of Lahore, Sheikhupura, Warburton and Nankana Sahib. The police had traced many cases against them.
DIG (Operations) Rana Abdul Jabbar has announced cash and commendatory certificates for the police raiding team.
Meanwhile, police said they had arrested 1,384 accused and recovered 39kg heroin, 229kg hashish, 11,473 bottles of liquor and 2,852 litres of foreign liquor this month.
In a crackdown on miscreants, the police reportedly arrested 147 criminals of 26 gangs and recovered stolen property worth Rs 31.3 million.
Police also arrested 112 accused during a crackdown on proclaimed offenders, while they traced 55 old and 118 new cases. They arrested 59 POs from eight districts, including Rawalpindi, Bahawalpur, Sargodha and Pakpattan.
Police also recovered 47 Kalashnikov rifles, 137 guns, 105 rifles, 878 pistols, 92 revolvers, 63 carbines and 4,044 other weapons.
Police sources said that on the directives of Inspector General Khan Baig, they had increased patrolling at all the enter and exit points of the province. Police were also deployed at the railway stations, bus terminals, markets, Imambargahs, mosques and other important buildings.
Separately, Railways Minister Khawaja Saad Rafiq said that attacks on security personnel and civilians will not be tolerated anymore and the security forces would retaliate with full force.
Talking to reporters on Sunday, he said the government had shown flexibility to the extent possible, but now it had been decided that the forces would not remain silent if terrorists go on exploding bombs.
He said that Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan wanted the government to bow before the terrorists, but asked how could the matter proceed when the other side went on targeting security personnel and innocent civilians.
The minister said that the government always tried peaceful resolution of issues through talks, but it would only engage in talks in a dignified manner with those willing to reciprocate.
“Those who will continue such attacks, target public installations and kill innocent people would be dealt with iron hands,” he added.
LAHORE: Justice Syed Kazim Raza Shamsi, of the Lahore High Court (LHC) on Tuesday suspended the ...