LAHORE: The one-man inquiry tribunal consisting of Justice Ali Baqir Najafi of the Lahore High Court ordered handing over of data of communication that took place between the chief minister, former law minister Rana Sanaullah, former secretary to chief minister Dr Tauqir Shah and 15 other police and civil officials on June 16 and June 17 collected from three cellular companies to a deputy director of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) –Asad Ali Khan – for analysis by July 18.
On Wednesday, Atiq Hussin Shah, a representative of Mobilink, submitted the data of cell phone number sent to them along with a soft copy, which was made part of the record.
Syed Arslan Bokhari, a representative of Ufone, also placed on record data of phone numbers sent to them. Similarly, an email sent to the tribunal by Warid Telecom was also made part of the record.
The tribunal dismissed an application filed by Mukhtar Ahmad to restrict the publication of tribunal’s remarks as these remarks could influence the proceedings of the joint investigation team (JIT).
The judge held that the application appears to be misconceived as the tribunal was exercising maximum restraint in its remarks. It was only issuing interim orders for the information of the general public through the media.
Imran Hussain submitted another application under Section 5 of the Punjab Tribunal of Inquiry Ordinance, praying for collection of cell phone data of Hassan Mahyoudin and Hussain Mahyoudin – sons of Pakistan Awami Tehrik (PAT) Chief Dr Tahirul Qadri – to ascertain the whole truth.
The judge held that the tribunal had issued various notices to Idara Minhajul Quran for their participation in inquiry proceedings and for recording of evidence of witnesses of the incident but that they have not directly given their input so far. The judge said that option of collection of data of cell phones of Dr Qadri’s sons could be exercised subsequently, if needed.
Advocate Aftab Bajwa submitted that SHO Rizwan Qadar Hashmi has been made complainant of the criminal case registered after the incident by showing him as an eyewitness.
He said that Hashmi was not an eyewitness as records showed that he was admitted at a hospital well before the killings of the people. He requested the court to unearth the truth behind this episode also.
Another lawyer requested the court to also summon the data of cell phones of Dr Tahirul Qadri, both of his sons and officials of the PAT. However, the judge observed that their phone data had no relevance with the matter. As the applicant insisted, the judge said that he would see if he needed to issue such orders in the future or not.
Another applicant, Abdullah Malik, said that his car had been stolen with an aim to harass him and to pressurise him into staying away from the tribunal’s proceedings.
The judge sought a report from the additional inspector general of police on this application by the next hearing.
LAHORE: Chief Minister Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif has said that the biggest relief and rehabilitation ...