LAHORE: Valuables worth millions of rupees were gutted when a fire broke out in a commercial plaza in Kalma Chowk on Ferozepur Road on Tuesday. No casualty was, however, reported because of timely response of rescuers of the Punjab Emergency Service (PES).
Flames instantly engulfed Century Tower, the only commercial plaza in Kalma Chowk, after the fire broke out in an office on its fourth floor at around 10 am due to short-circuiting. Six people, including women, got trapped on the top floor. However, they informed the rescue service over the phone on which PES fire-fighters reached there in about three to four minutes.
Police and officials of departments concerned also rushed to the scene and started rescue operation. Some of the trapped persons sustained minor injuries but all of them were evacuated to safety in an operation that lasted for about an hour. The injured were hospitalised but they are said to be out of danger.
Sources said that PES district officer led the operation while its director general also monitored it. Locals gathered on the scene lauded the efforts of rescuers.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has taken notice of the fire incident and has sought a report from officials concerned. He also ordered an inquiry into the incident. Immediately after receiving information about the fire, the chief minister directed officials concerned to control the blaze and rescue the victims.
The chief minister also sent his helicopter to take part in the rescue operation. He also directed officials concerned to evolve a comprehensive strategy to prevent such incidents from taking place in the future.
KILLED: A six-year-old boy was killed when a gun went off accidentally at a farmhouse in Shahdra police precincts.
Police said that Muhammad Ali, of Jannat Road, Saggian, worked at a farmhouse owned by Mehar Fayyaz. His son Azeem and children of his employer were playing with the gun when it went off by accident. A bullet hit Azeem on which he was taken to a hospital where he succumbed to the injury. The police handed over the body to the family.
LAHORE: In the wake of recent reports regarding sale of half-dead and deceased animals’ meat ...