Indian violations of LoC concerns Pakistan

* Foreign Office says government has lodged protest with Indian government through diplomatic channels

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Saturday expressed concern over continued Indian violation of working boundaries and termed it a matter of grave concern for the government and the people of Pakistan.
The Foreign Office in a statement claimed that indiscriminate firing on Charwah, Harpal and Chatrar sectors on August 23 was the 20th violation during August, “which resulted in several casualties and injuries to our innocent people and soldiers, and damage to property”.
From June 1 to August 30, India violated the working boundary and LoC 140 times. These violations have also been reported to UNMOGIP through established channels.   
The Foreign Office said the violation of the ceasefire by the Indian forces is a matter of grave concern for Pakistan. It also said the government has lodged protest with the Indian government through diplomatic channels earlier this month. Pakistan’s armed forces have exercised restraint to avoid worsening of the situation. 
On August 26, the Director General of Military Operations in his weekly hotline contact conveyed the details of these violations to his Indian counterpart. At the suggestion of the Pakistani side, it was agreed that regular contacts be maintained between local commanders, sector commanders, and Pakistan Rangers and Indian Border Security Force to observe ceasefire and stop any ceasefire violations. 
Unfortunately, only a day after the conversation between the DGMOs and hours after the sector commander-level flag meeting on August 27, the Indian side carried out unprovoked firing on Charwah and Phukhlian sectors. 
Pakistan urged India to refrain from such provocations. Pakistan has also called upon the international community represented on ground by the United Nations Military Observer Group (UNMOGIP) to take note of such violations by Indian forces.
In the larger interest of regional peace, Pakistan would again urge the Indian government to take notice of the continuing ceasefire violations of the working boundary and take steps to stop them. 
“For its part, in accord with the vision of our leadership to have good neighborly relations with India, Pakistani forces would continue to exercise restraint but would have the right to respond in self defence,” the statement read.   
“Pakistan also expresses its disappointment on the statement of the Indian government attempting to shift the onus of cancelling the foreign secretary-level talks on Pakistan. We maintain that Jammu and Kashmir is a disputed territory as acknowledged through various UN resolutions and its final disposition is yet to be undertaken through a free and impartial plebiscite under the UN auspices. The meeting with Kashmiri leaders, prior to Pakistan-India talks is a long-standing practice.”
Pakistan remained committed to meaningful and sustained dialogue with India to promote bilateral cooperation and address all outstanding issues between the two countries, the statement concluded. 

comments powered by Disqus
  • DailyTimes.Official
  • DailyTimes_DT
  • Rss
Sunday Magazine
Aaj Kal