SRINAGAR: Militant group Lashkar-e-Tayyaba (LeT) denied on Tuesday that it was behind an attack last week in Afghanistan on an Indian diplomatic mission in a call to AFP.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai said on Monday he was informed by a Western intelligence agency that LeT was responsible for the assault by gunmen on the Indian consulate in Herat that left two policemen wounded. “Hamid Karzai’s claim is not based on truth. We condemn the attack,” a man identifying himself as LeT spokesman Abdullah Ghaznavi said in a call to AFP’s office in Indian-occupied Kashmir. “Our operations are limited to Jammu and Kashmir alone, and these will continue until the dawn of freedom for the territory,” he said from an undisclosed location.
The caller spoke in Urdu and rang from an unrecognised number. LeT has called AFP in the past to issue denials of their involvement in attacks. On Tuesday, Karzai, who met with India’s new Prime Minister Narendra Modi earlier in the day, renewed his accusations about LeT’s alleged involvement in the attack. “The report that we have been given by Western intelligence agencies indicates clearly that the attack was launched by Lashkar-e-Tayyaba with names and telephone details,” Karzai told Times Now, an Indian television channel.
“We have a problem in this region of terrorism, of extremism and of rising radicals. They are a fact here, a miserable fact for us and also now for Pakistan and unfortunately a fact that keeps hurting civilians and people everyday in Pakistan,” Karzai added.
SRINAGAR – A 12- year-old boy was mauled to death by a leopard in Indian-held Kashmir, police ...