‘Mir informed on April 7 about possible attack’

RSF asks govt to take action on commission’s findings

PARIS – Reporters Sans Frontiers (RSF) in a statement has condemned the attack on journalist and senior anchor Hamid Mir and called on the government to take concrete action on the basis of the judicial commission’s findings.


“We take note of the prime minister’s decision to create a special commission of enquiry, but we point out that this is not an end in itself. The government must be ready to take concrete action on the basis of findings,” said Benjamin Ismaïl, who heads the Asia-Pacific desk at RSF.


The media watchdog confirmed that Hamid Mir had informed the organisation on April 7 that he may be targeted. Ismaïl said that Hamid Mir had been the constant target of press freedom’s enemies, starting with the Taliban and the intelligence agencies.


Mir was shot as he was driving to the Geo News office in Karachi shortly after leaving the Jinnah International Airport. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif formed a three-member judicial commission comprising of the Supreme Court judges to probe the attack and complete its findings in three weeks.

comments powered by Disqus
  • DailyTimes.Official
  • DailyTimes_DT
  • Rss
Sunday Magazine
Aaj Kal