Tribunal tells IGP to submit Tuesday’s deployment plan


LAHORE: The one-man inquiry tribunal headed by Justice Ali Baqir Najfi of the Lahore High Court directed the inspector general of police (IGP) to submit till today (Friday) records of FIRs of the Model Town incident along with complete record of investigations carried out so far. The IGP was also directed to submit the names of the police personnel, armed or unarmed, deployed in the vicinity of Minhajul Quran International secretariat on the day of the incident with designations and duties assigned to them and also containing the names of authorities, who were responsible to assign the duties to such stationed police personnel.
Earlier, the IGP submitted his interim report in which he said that due to a paucity of time, he could not prepare the complete report; however, some other senior police officers were preparing the report.
The tribunal directed the IGP to submit his report regarding progress made in the investigations every day till further orders. 
Lahore Development Authority (LDA) Director General Ahad Khan Cheema did not submit his reply, saying that he has nothing to do with the episode.
Justice Najfi directed the LDA director general to comply with the tribunal’s orders and submit his report today. The LDA director general shall also provide the proceedings of the meeting, if any, held between him and the IGP, CCPO, DIG Operations and the DCO for the purpose of carrying out the operation.
The DCO and the LDA director general were also directed to give their detailed reports separately and independently about barriers placed near and around the Minhaj secretariat. Both were further directed to place on record the order of competent authority
and the judgment, if any, whereby the permission was accorded to the Minhajul Quran secretariat for installing the barriers and other measure of safety.
The tribunal directed the DCO and the LDA director general to append along with their reports copies of correspondence with the administration of Minhajul Quran secretariat which will include notices, show-cause notices, intimations of any kind regarding removal of barriers and correspondence addressed to all concerned for commencement of the operation for the removal of obstacles. 
The DCO and the LDA director general were also directed to submit reports regarding steps taken by them for the accomplishment of the operation on the site.
As proceedings started on Thursday, Advocate Aftab Ahmad Bajwa filed an application with affidavit, vehemently stating that previous judicial commissions constituted in the same manner such as on floods, drugs etc remained fruitless as reports formulated or recommendations made by them could not yield any useful results. 
He said that the government deliberately and with ulterior motive had put all of the previous recommendations and reports in cold storage, rendering them useless. He stated that governments in such like incidents always actually continue to fudge the issue by sending the matter to judicial tribunals. The previous reports of judicial commissions were still dormant; therefore, this tribunal should withdraw from the proceedings commenced in pursuance of the notification of the constitution of this tribunal. He said that the provincial government deliberately and in order to cover up their misdeed constituted this tribunal with ulterior motives. He vehemently suggested that he should be provided the relevant law, rules and authority of this tribunal under which the proceedings were being undertaken. Justice Najfi held that the application would be considered on the next date.
Civil Society Network President Abdullah Malik suggested the tribunal to collect all available record pertaining to the incident, and also to collect reports of electronic and print media as well as social media. He also suggested that the concerned authorities be directed to procure the conversation that took place on mobile phones between ministers, IGP, LDA director general, CCPO, DIG, DCO and all other authorities concerned and the officials, who participated in the gory operation, supported by their ‘self-styled’ affidavits.
He urged the tribunal to issue appropriate directions to the authorities concerned for the preservation of the mobile phone conversation record. He said that compensation of destroyed vehicles during the operation might be given to owners at the earliest.
Interfaith Dialogue Chairman Mrs Shabnam Nagi said that efforts were being made to tamper with medical reports, autopsy reports and other documents which should be protected and preserved.

comments powered by Disqus
  • DailyTimes.Official
  • DailyTimes_DT
  • Rss
Sunday Magazine
Aaj Kal