Medical report finds FIA official committed suicide

* No mark of torture found on body of Kamran Faisal

ISLAMABAD: A National Accountability Board (NAB) investigating officer, who was probing the high-profile Rental Power Plants (RPPs) corruption case, was not tortured, rather he committed suicide, the medical review board on the Kamran Faisal case said in its report on Tuesday.
All the conclusions established pertaining to the death of the NAB official were conflicting, with a typical case of suicide by hanging, said an official source close to the board requesting not to be named. 
“It appeared that before his death, Faisal was not struggling to defend him from any sort of torture. There was not a possibility that he was hanged either after death or while being unconscious,” said the official, citing the board findings.
The medical board is headed by Dr Tanveer Khaliq, the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences Surgical Department head, and comprises Dr Ashok Kumar, Dr Saeed, Dr Zulikafal and five forensic experts.
A three-judge Supreme Court bench, headed by Chief Justice Tassaduq Hussain Jillani had directed to constitute the board and a joint investigation team, led by Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Khalid Khattak. 
Ruling out the possibility of Islamabad Police’s claim that Faisal had been on anti-depressants, the forensic report revealed that blood, liver, spleen, kidney and stomach of the victim contained no drug or poison. 
There was no evidence that Faisal had been given any kind of poisonous substance. There were no signs of torture either, as per the chemical examination of the viscera.
The viscera were sent to Lahore by the Islamabad Police for chemical examination. The Punjab Forensic Science Agency (PFSA) questioned the evidence, sent by the Islamabad Police, and exhumed the body from a town in Mian Channu. 
After exhumation, pieces of Faisal’s vital organs were examined and later a team of experts visited the room in which he was found hanged to collect the circumstantial evidence. Investigation officers were also questioned in the process.
“The PFSA used ambiguous language in its report, saying the ligature mark on the wrist of the deceased was anti-mortem, not post-mortem lividity,” a top police officer said. However, the report corroborated that no poisonous element was found in the viscera, he said. 
The report also found the crime scene was totally compromised instead of having been protected. The analysis of the rope, by which the deceased hanged him, showed it was not handled by a person. The report also found out partial DNA of some unknown source on the rope. 

comments powered by Disqus
  • DailyTimes.Official
  • DailyTimes_DT
  • Rss
Sunday Magazine
Aaj Kal