19 killed in Peshawar, Quetta bomb attacks

* Eight killed, 23 injured in suicide attack on police APC in Sarband * 11 killed, 40 wounded as bicycle bomb, apparently targeting security forces, explodes * Ahrarul Hind claims responsibility
AFP

PESHAWAR/QUETTA: Two separate bomb attacks targeting security forces killed 19 people on Friday, officials said, the latest violence to hit peace talks between the government and Taliban militants.
A suicide attack in the suburbs of Peshawar, close to the lawless tribal areas was followed a few hours later by a bombing in Quetta. Dialogue aimed at ending the militants’ seven-year insurgency, which has claimed thousands of lives, resumed last week with government negotiators saying the process was ready to move to a new phase. But a ceasefire declared by the Pakistani Taliban on March 1 has been shaken by several bloody episodes, including a major attack on a court complex in Islamabad that left 11 people dead. 
The main Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) faction denied that attack, which was claimed by a splinter group, but it nevertheless prompted many observers to question the militants’ commitment to dialogue. Ahrarul Hind, a little known insurgent group, claimed responsibility for the attacks. “We carried out the attacks in Peshawar and Quetta and we have no links with the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP),” Ahmed Mansoor, a spokesman for the group told AFP. 
“We will continue such attacks till the implementation of Islamic sharia in Pakistan.” Friday’s attack in Sarband village on the edge of Peshawar, close to the Khyber tribal district, came as Taliban negotiators met the TTP leadership to discuss the next steps in the talks process. Taliban sources told AFP the TTP’s ruling council had asked for the military to pull out of South Waziristan tribal area to allow talks to be held there.
The target of the Peshawar blast was a police armoured personnel carrier, officers said. “It was a suicide attack and the bomber approached the police vehicle on foot,” Najeebur Rahman, a senior police officer, told AFP, adding that nine people were killed. Mohammad Faisal, another police officer, confirmed the attack and death toll. In Quetta, a bicycle bomb containing eight to 10 kilos of explosives, apparently targeting a passing vehicle carrying security forces, killed 10 people and wounded 31, city police chief Abdul Razzaq Cheema said. 
Friday’s attack was the deadliest attack to hit the province since January 22, when a bomb targeting a bus carrying Shia pilgrims returning from Iran killed 24 people. Nearly 7,000 people have been killed in militant attacks in Pakistan since the emergence of the TTP after a military raid on a radical mosque in 2007, according to an AFP tally. Continued militant violence, the Islamabad court attack and a roadside bomb targeting security forces last week have threatened to derail the talks process. 
More than 120 have died in attacks since Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif announced dialogue with the militants in late January. Talks were a key campaign pledge for Nawaz before he was elected to office for a third time last year. But many analysts are sceptical about their chances for success, given the Taliban’s demands for nationwide sharia law and a withdrawal of troops from the lawless tribal zones. 

comments powered by Disqus
  • DailyTimes.Official
  • DailyTimes_DT
  • Rss
Sunday Magazine