LAHORE – The Lahore High Court (LHC) on Saturday dismissed two petitions seeking directions to remove containers and barriers installed in various cities to stop Pakistan Awami Tehreek workers from participating in Youm-e-Shuhada.
The court observed that the petitioners had failed to make out case of any infringement of fundamental rights. "Restrictions are imposed in public interest and public interest is always supreme," the court added. The single bench comprising Justice Muhammad Khalid Mehmood Khan was hearing petitions filed by Manzoor Hussain and Alamgir Khan.
The court also adjourned a petition, filed by Hassan Awais challenging barriers and restrictions imposed in and around Model Town, till August 11 after assurance by the CCPO Lahore. As the proceedings started, Advocate General Punjab Hanif Khatana submitted that the security plan had been published in newspapers today.
He contended the participants were coming to Minhaj ul Quran in Model Town from all over Pakistan which had created a law and order problem. To a court query, the AGP submitted a copy of a notification of restrictions and said the police was authorised to install barricaded for checking under Section 24 of the Police Order 2002.
The court observed that what would be the situation of security if arms were snatched from security officials by force."Pakistan is our country and it should be protected," the court added. The CCPO submitting a revised security plan assured the court that no resident of Model Town would be stopped after showing identification.
He pointed out that cars, motorcycles and other light vehicles were provided specific passages and only trucks and heavy traffic were restricted. He said that the restrictions were temporary in nature and would be removed as the situation improved.