Two killed as bomb goes off outside mosque in Karachi

*Police say bomb exploded as motorcycle of a suspected terrorist collided with another one in Sadar* Parcel bomb hits courier company office; no casualties

KARACHI: At least two people, including a suspected bomber, were killed when a powerful bomb explosion took place outside a major mosque in the city on Friday, police said.
The blast took place near the main gate of Mohajir Makki Mosque on Preedy Street in Saddar. According to DIG Munir Shaikh a suspected terrorist was believed to be carrying explosives on a motorcycle. The blast occurred when his motorcycle collided with another. “We are investigating as to what was the target of the suspected bomber,” he said, adding apparently mosque was not his target. Rescue teams arrived at the spot and shifted the wounded to Civil Hospital, where emergency was declared.
Security forces reached the scene and cordoned off the targeted area. TV footages showed two badly damaged motorcycles, broken windowpanes and splinter marks near the Saddar Parking Plaza. “We are collecting evidence from the spot. It is premature to say anything about the nature of the blast,” a senior police officer said. Around 400 to 500 people offer prayers in the targeted mosque.
Taking notice of the blast, Sindh Governor Dr Ishratul Ebad and Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah asked provincial police chief to submit a report. Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has strongly condemned the blast and said that those who are killing innocent people are enemies of Islam and humanity and want to destabilise Pakistan through terrorism and bloodshed. In a statement, MQM head Altaf Hussain also strongly condemned the blast.
Three people were injured in the bomb blast, two of whom were identified as Mohammed Khan and Maqsood Alam, AIG Ghulam Qadir Thebo told media persons. Mohammed Khan, who received minor injuries, was allowed to leave the hospital. The third one who had received a very minor injury did not need medical assistance and left the place of incident. Meanwhile, a bomb was defused in Manghopir. Sources said that the improvised explosive device (IED) weighed at least 10 kilogrammes and was planted in a box outside a marble factory. “Fortunately, after spotting the suspicious unclaimed box residents called the police,” a local said.

comments powered by Disqus
  • DailyTimes.Official
  • DailyTimes_DT
  • Rss
Sunday Magazine
Aaj Kal