QUETTA: At least two people were killed and 26 others injured in a suicide car bomb attack targeting a passenger bus of Shia pilgrims on Wednesday.
The bus, being escorted by a police van, was attacked in Akhterabad area of Quetta. The injured included women, children and four security personnel. The bus was coming from Iran.
According to sources, gunshots were also fired after the bomb attack, as unidentified culprits opened aerial fire at the scene while the bus burned completely to ashes.According to the Bomb Disposal Squad, around 100 kilogrammes of explosive material were used in the bombing.
“An explosive laden car which was parked along the roadside blew up as the bus passed by it, killing two people,” Quetta city police chief Abdul Razzaq Cheema told a news agency.
Police officials who had been escorting the bus rescued passengers from the wreckage before it caught fire, Cheema added.
Police, FC and rescue teams rushed to the site shortly after the incident and cordoned off the area. The dead and injured were moved to Bolan Medical Complex and Combined Military Hospital (CMH), Quetta.
Shalkot SHO Raz Muhammad told reporters that as many as 50 passengers were onboard the bus. The Balochistan minister for information and parliamentary affairs confirmed that two people died in the attack. The Balochistan governor and chief minister have condemned the attack.
HYDERABAD: Two more children died in the drought-hit district of Tharparkar in Civil Hospital here ...