ISLAMABAD: The government of Pakistan has noted with deep concern that India continues to engage in unprovoked violation of the working boundary, a Foreign Office statement said Sunday.
“On 23rd August, indiscriminate firing on Charwah, Harpal and Chatrar sectors was the 20th violation during the month of August alone resulting in several casualties and injuries to our innocent people and soldiers, and damage to property,” a Foreign Office spokesperson said: “From 1st June to 30th August, 93 violations by India of the working boundary and LoC have been recorded. These violations have also been reported to UNMOGIP through established channels”.
The continuing violation of the ceasefire by the Indian forces is a matter of grave concern for the government and the people of Pakistan, the statement said. “We had lodged protest with the Indian government through diplomatic channels earlier this month. Pakistan’s armed forces have exercised restraint to avoid worsening of the situation,” it added. Last Tuesday, August 26, Director General of Military Operations in his weekly hotline contact conveyed the details of these violations to his Indian counterpart.
At the suggestion of the Pakistani side, it was agreed that regular contacts be maintained between local commanders, sector commanders, and Pakistan Rangers and Indian Border Security Force to observe ceasefire and stop any ceasefire violations. Unfortunately, only a day after the conversation between the DGsMO and hours after the sector commander level flag meeting on August 27, the Indian side carried out unprovoked firing on Charwah and Phukhlian sectors.
“Pakistan has urges India to refrain from such provocations. We also call upon the international community represented on ground by the United Nations Military Observer Group (UNMOGIP) to take note of such violations by Indian forces,” the statement emphasised. In the larger interest of regional peace, Pakistan would again urge the government of India to take notice of the continuing ceasefire violations of the working boundary by the Indian forces and take steps to stop them. For its part, in accord with the vision of our leadership to have good neighbourly relations with India, Pakistani forces would continue to exercise restraint but would have the right to respond in self defence.
Pakistan also expressed its disappointment on the statement of the Indian government attempting to shift the onus of cancelling the foreign secretary-level talks on Pakistan.
“We maintain that Jammu and Kashmir is a disputed territory as acknowledged through various UN resolutions and its final disposition is yet to be undertaken through a free and impartial plebiscite under the UN auspices.
The meeting with Kashmiri leaders, prior to Pakistan-India talks is a long-standing practice. Pakistan remains committed to meaningful and sustained dialogue with India to promote bilateral cooperation and address all outstanding issues between the two countries,” the statement said.
SUKKUR: District administrations of Thatta and Sujawal have declared emergency and advised the ...