ISLAMABAD – Taking full political ownership of the Zarb-e-Azb operation on Tuesday, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said that the decision to launch a military offensive against terrorists had been taken after exhaustive deliberations.
Talking to Air Chief Marshal Tahir Rafique Butt, he said that the decision to launch the Zarb-e-Azb operation was taken after reviewing all aspects and now it was continuing with full force. He said that the armed forces would totally destroy the sanctuaries of terrorists.
Discussing the professional matters of the air force, the prime minister appreciated the role of the Pakistan Air Force in defence of Pakistan and the ongoing operation in the North Waziristan Agency. "Full-fledged offensive has now started and all foreign fighters and local terrorists will be wiped out without exception and no sanctuary will be spared by the armed forces," he said.
According to the prime minister, a development programme would be started in the tribal areas following the completion of the military operation. The Pakistan Army launched its long-awaited major operation Zarb-e-Azb in the tribal region last month, a week after an attack on the Jinnah Airport in Karachi, deploying troops, tanks and jets to the area in the crackdown on the militants.