ISLAMABAD: A special tribunal hearing a landmark treason case against former military ruler Pervez Musharraf on Friday ordered him to appear in person on March 31 or face arrest. The court was due to indict Musharraf on Friday over his 2007 imposition of emergency rule, but Musharraf’s lawyers said he was unable to appear because of the threats to his life. The three-member panel headed by judge Faisal Arab ordered the 70-year-old Musharraf, who ruled from 1999-2008, to appear on March 31. “It is further directed that the (arrest) warrant would be executed early in the morning of March 31, if the accused refuses to appear before this court on his own volition,” it added.
Musharraf became the first former army chief to appear in court on treason charges on February 18, but since then has missed repeated hearings due to bomb scares and health problems.
On Thursday the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) briefed the special court about the threat of attacks to Musharraf. Officials of the intelligence agency and the Interior Ministry held an in-camera session in Sindh House on Thursday to brief judges of the special court. Officials said they had a strong intelligence network which could intercept telephone calls and know about possible threats.
ISLAMABAD: Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Raheel Sharif said on Thursday that noteworthy ...