FREETOWN: Sierra Leone Wednesday confirmed a second death from the Ebola virus, as the WHO warned of possible further contagion as others sick with the haemorrhagic fever had been moved out of isolation and back to their village.
“One of the seven Ebola patients, a woman admitted at the Isolation Centre in the Government Hospital in Kenema, died on Tuesday,” Dr Brima Kargbo, the chief medical officer, told AFP in a telephone interview. The six other patients affected were “undergoing treatment”, added Dr Kargbo. The announcement of the death comes two days after Sierra Leone confirmed its first fatality from Ebola. The WHO meanwhile warned of likely further contagion as four of the sick patients had been moved back to their home village. They were removed from an isolation facility in the east of the country by family members who were unwilling to see them remain in a hospital far from home, WHO scientist Pierre Fromenty told reporters in Geneva.
“Of course by doing that, they exposed themselves, they exposed the villages,” he said, adding that the Ebola patients were still in Kuindu village, near the border with Guinea, the epicentre of the West African outbreak. The WHO has described the region’s first Ebola outbreak as one of the most challenging since the virus was first identified in 1976 in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo.
MACDILL AIR FORCE BASE - President Barack Obama vowed on Wednesday the United States will not fight ...