WASHINGTON – US military officers are still unsure if the F-35 fighter will be cleared to make its debut at a British air show next week, a potentially damaging setback for the costly program.
The Joint Strike Fighter has been touted as a technical marvel but the fleet remains grounded as authorities investigate what caused an engine fire last month for one of the aircraft, the Pentagon said on Tuesday. Officials had viewed the July 14-20 Farnborough International Air Show as a promising opportunity to show off the new plane before a global audience in Britain -- a country that has invested heavily in the project.
But the coming-out party may be called off over safety concerns, officials said. "There has not been a decision made on that yet," Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby told reporters when asked whether the plane would fly at the event as planned. "I think certainly we'd be disappointed if we weren't able to take it to Farnborough.
"That said, safety's got to be priority number one, and it is. And nobody wants to rush these aircraft back into the air before we know exactly what happened." Four F-35Bs, the vertical take-off version designed for the US Marine Corps, were supposed to feature in the air show, including one aircraft belonging to Britain that is undergoing tests in the United States.
Both the US Air Force and Navy last week ordered a halt to all F-35 flights following the June 23 engine fire to allow for inspections of all the aircraft. The blaze broke out at the rear of the plane on the runway during takeoff at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida, according to the Air Force.
The pilot managed to exit the jet safely and the fire was put out, but officials have yet to say what exactly triggered the problem.