Police more certain attack was suicidal
By Hasan Mansoor and Intikhab Ali
KARACHI: Investigators inquiring into the Friday’s explosion in a Shia mosque, which killed 14 people and injured more than 100 others, have gained more evidence that it was an incident of suicide bombing.
“All evidence and leads we have gathered so far show that it was suicide bombing,” said Deputy Inspector General (Investigation) Fayyaz Leghari on Saturday.
He said the suspect’s identification had not yet been discovered, but the police had further strengthened the theory of a suicide bombing with some useful leads.
“We have got the chemical examination of the flesh and limbs of the two men we found on the floor and walls of the mosque,” Mr Leghari said. “The examination makes us believe that a suicide bomber was involved in the act because our experts found residue of an explosive material on the flesh and limbs of one of the two persons.” Manzoor Mughal, a senior investigator, discussed certain initial clues relating to the suspected suicide bomber.
“Our investigations have revealed the suspected suicide bomber had been reconnoitering for at least three days. Witnesses have told us the man came to offer prayers while wearing a long black gown,” he said. “The suspect was of an average height and bearded.”
“So far, we have not picked up anyone, but we are interrogating the witnesses and we are confident that we would arrest the plotters because we have been doing the same in the past,” he said.
The police prepared on Saturday a sketch of the suspected suicide bomber with the help of witnesses, which shows an oval-faced, bearded man wearing a skullcap with a thin moustache.
The police released the sketch to the media. “The rigorous publicity of the sketch has proved fruitful as many people have contacted us who have possibly seen him (the suicide bomber) somewhere in the city. Such information could lead us to solve the case soon,” a police official said.
A senior police official said: “When police officials arrived at the spot after the blast some worshippers told the police that a stranger had been coming to the mosque for the past three days. When asked about his personal details, he only said he needed no permission from them to offer prayers.” “His aggressive reply forced the regular worshipers to keep silent,” the police officials said.
According to the police official, on Friday people saw him in the mosque again for the last time before the blast killed him.