Military operation in Balochistan: MMA to consult opposition for joint strategy against govt
By Mohammad Imran
ISLAMABAD: The Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal (MMA) has decided to consult other opposition parties, including the Alliance for the Restoration of Democracy (ARD), to adopt a joint strategy against the government on the ongoing military operation in Balochistan.
“The MMA strongly condemns the ongoing military operation and arrest of former chief minister of Balochistan, Akhtar Mengal,” MMA Deputy Secretary General Liaqat Baloch told Daily Times on Wednesday.
Mr Baloch said the military operation in Balochistan indicated that the government was in a fix because of its bad internal and external policies. “The government is now creating an uncertain situation in Balochistan to divert the attention of the people from its polices,” said Mr Baloch.
He said the government had already sent the wrong message to the people of Balochistan when President General Pervez Musharaf replaced Mir Zafarullah Khan Jamali. “Now the government has started a military operation in the same province which will damage the federation,” he said, adding that the MMA would take up the issue on the floor of the National Assembly and the Senate. Mr Baloch said the government had already suffered huge losses in South Waziristan because of the Wana operation.
Hafiz Hussain Ahmed, deputy parliamentary leader of the MMA, told Daily Times that every problem could be solved through dialogue. He condemned Mr Mengal’s arrest and demanded his immediate release.