‘Govt will not decide KBD’s construction unilaterally’
ISLAMABAD: Federal Water and Power Minister Liaqat Jatoi on Friday told the National Assembly (NA) that the government would construct the Kalabagh Dam with the consultation of all four federating units.
Responding to various questions asked by opposition members during question hour, Mr Jatoi said that the Mangla Dam raising project, Mirani Dam, Satpara Dam and Sabakzai Dam projects were scheduled to complete during the next five years. He said the feasibility study of the Kalabagh Dam and other dams had been completed but the government would not take a unilateral decision on the dam’s construction. He added that the government had formed two committees to frame recommendations for the construction of large water reservoirs. The first body called the parliamentary committee on water resources would be headed by Senator Nisar Memon while the other called the technical committee on water resources would be headed by ANG Abbasi, he said.
Federal Parliamentary Affairs Minister Dr Sher Afgan Niazi told the house that the Cabinet Division had imported 22 bullet-proof vehicles during 2004-2005 of which only 10 vehicles had actually been received so far.
He stated this while responding to a written question by Fauzia Wahab of the Pakistan People’s Party Parliamentarians (PPPP).
Dr Niazi told the house that these vehicles were being used for the security of dignitaries, including foreigners visiting Pakistan on state visit. In written reply to a question by Mian Jalil Ahmed Sharaqpuri, Dr Niazi told the house that presently there were 49 vehicles of various makes and models in the central car pool being used for protocol duties which included 31 Mercedes Benz, Toyota Lexus, Toyota Corolla, Mitsubishi Buses and Rosa Coasters. Giving details about the expenditure incurred on the vehicles since 2001, Dr Niazi said that Rs 3.54 million had been spent on maintenance and petrol in 2001-2002; Rs 4 million were spent in 2002-2003; while Rs 5.9 million had been for 2003-2004.
Replying to a question, Federal Labour Minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan told the house that 3,000 Pakistani workers would be sent to Malaysia in July. Responding to various supplementary questions, the minister said the government had put a check on private manpower exporters by directing to advertise the complete details of the jobs and issue receipts after collecting money from the applicants. He added that the government had warned the exporters of licence cancellation if they did not follow the procedure.