Six injured in Beirut blast
BEIRUT: Six people were wounded, two Indian workers and four Lebanese, in a bomb blast late Saturday in a Christian district north of here, an investigating judge said Sunday, revising down an earlier report of two deaths.
"Fortunately there were no deaths and only six injured, even though the explosive devive was large, about 30 kilograms of TNT," investigating judge Jean Fahd told LBCI television.
The official news agency ANI reported Saturday that the explosion in an industrial area north of here had killed two Indian workers and wounded eight people. The police press service also said Sunday that the toll had been revised down to six wounded. The United States said Saturday it strongly condemns the bombing which took place in Beirut while urging Lebanese authorities to provide security for the population.
Lebanese president says security will be kept under control: Following Lebanon’s third bombing in eight days, President Emile Lahoud pledged on Sunday to fight the violence gripping his country since last month’s assassination of former premier Rafik Hariri. Saturday’s blast at an industrial estate in the mainly Christian suburb of Bouchrieh injured five people and set six factories ablaze. The attack followed bombings targeting two Christian strongholds March 19 and 23 that killed three people and wounded at least 10.
“We will do all we can. We should all be united because this is how we can save the country,” Lahoud, a Maronite Catholic and close Syrian ally, vowed after attending an Easter Mass service.
Lahoud has come under intense pressure from Lebanese opposition groups since Hariri’s killing, which many here have blamed on Syrian and Lebanese authorities. Both governments vehemently deny such claims. The recent attacks have come amid Syria’s troop withdrawal from Lebanon, a key demand of the United States, United Nations and the Lebanese opposition.
A top US envoy denounced the latest attacks during a meeting Sunday with Druse opposition leader Walid Jumblatt. “They are aimed directly at the people of Lebanon and I think the people of Lebanon are confident in their ability to proceed in a matter that tells those responsible they will not be frightened,” David Satterfield said. agencies
Annan condemns Lebanon bombing
UNITED NATIONS: United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan on Sunday condemned a bombing in Beirut. "He is especially saddened that this latest attack was carried out on Saturday on the eve of Easter, just as many of the nation's Christians were preparing to attend mass," Annan's spokesman Fred Eckhard said in a statement. "The secretary general believes this latest violence must stop, and that Lebanese should be allowed to decide the future of their country free of violence and intimidation.” afp