Expert says epileptics can lead a normal life
KARACHI: Professor of Neurology at the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre Dr Hasan Aziz on Wednesday said 80 percent of epilepsy patients could lead a normal life through drug control while the disease could be partially controlled in the remaining 20 percent. He was speaking at the Pakistan Medical Association (PMA) House.
He said one percent of the population in Pakistan suffered from epilepsy which is caused by brain scars or head injuries during birth. “That is why epilepsy is twice as common in rural areas where health facilities are poor,” he said.
Dr Aziz said treatment was ineffective once a person had suffered an epileptic attack, but in most cases single attacks of epilepsy do not require drugs.
He said epilepsy must be managed by family physicians, as the patient feels more comfortable with familiar people around. He said public awareness was important in dealing with epilepsy. “75 percent of the patients in the world do not know they have the disorder. This is particularly true for poor countries,” he said.
He said there was a one percent chance that every child born would suffer from the disorder. However, if the parents have a history of epilepsy, the chances of the child carrying having it are 3 percent, he added. He said one percent all epilepsy patients are treated through surgery, which is recommended when drugs fail.