Shujaat dismisses claims Pakistan on US target list
LAHORE: Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, president of the Pakistan Muslim League (Quaid-e-Azam), here on Sunday dismissed recent claims that Pakistan would be on the United States’ next target list.
“Pakistan has a strong defence capability and its nuclear programme is in safe hands,” Mr Hussain told a press conference here on Sunday after a flag-hosting ceremony at the party’s provincial secretariat.
He said that although during the previous regime Pakistan was under pressure to wind up its nuclear programme “neither did we give it up nor we will in the future”. But he made it clear that despite the world being divided over the Iraq crisis Pakistan would continue to maintain good relations with the developing world, including the US.
“Of course, we are against the war but we will maintain our good relations with the developing countries, including the United States,” he said. But Mr Hussain was quick in blaming the ongoing war on the wrong policies of President George Bush and Prime Minister Tony Blair.
“Both have made a blunder by ordering attack on Iraq. The war will be long and it will be a mistake to think of a quick victory against President Saddam Hussein’s forces. This is a cause for concern,” Mr Hussain commented.
He also said it was wrong on the part of the Pakistan Television (PTV) to ignore the sufferings of the Iraqi people by carrying on telecasting musical shows, and urged the information ministry to take a serious notice of the PTV’s action.
About the Million March staged by the Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal, he defended the government by saying that the religious alliance had been given a free hand to stage nationwide marches.