Balochistan vows to enforce ban on public arms display
* Quetta DIG says key suspect behind Friday blast arrested
* Seven student leaders also arrested
* Two rockets defused
QUETTA: The Balochistan government has decided to strictly enforce a ban on the public display of arms and to stop people from moving around with armed bodyguards, APP reported.
The meeting, chaired by Chief Minister Jam Mohammad Yousaf on Monday, urged political and tribal notables not to move around with armed bodyguards and to contact the government for their security.
The meeting expressed concern over the smuggling of heavy weapons and ammunition into the city and decided to improve security and search all vehicles at all entrance points to Quetta.
It also approved the preparation of a comprehensive database of Quetta residents to collect information about illegal vehicles and immigrants. It directed the police to set up a surveillance system at vulnerable and crowded places, increase patrols in open and deserted areas and remain in close contact with other law-enforcement agencies.
The meeting also decided to remove all encroachments on footpaths in the city and to involve union council nazims and councillors in efforts to improve security in the city.
It appealed to all political parties and tribal leaders to cooperate with the government and play their part in maintaining peace in the city.
The chief minister directed the law enforcement agencies to immediately release people who, after initial investigations, were proved innocent.
Also on Monday, the Quetta deputy inspector general of police said one of they key men behind the Friday blast in Mazen Chowk had been arrested. Police also detained seven leaders of a student organisation, and arrested 10 more suspects.
The crackdown since Friday’s bomb blast, in which 11 people were killed and more than 20 wounded, has so far netted more than 40 people, DIG Pervez Rafi Bhatti said.
At least seven leaders of the Baloch Students Organisation (BSO) were taken into custody when they arrived at the city’s press club to address a news conference on Monday to condemn arrests in the case, police and witnesses said.
Meanwhile 10 more suspects were detained in raids at different places in Balochistan overnight, Bhatti told AFP.
Some 24 suspects were held on Saturday and Sunday, Bhatti said.
“The detainees are being questioned in connection with acts of terrorism in the province,” Bhatti said.
A BSO leader, Asif Baloch, condemned the arrests and said the detainees were innocent.
Police found and defused two rockets targeting the city at a deserted location near Railway Colony on Monday. A case was registered. agencies