Universities sign 10 MoUs with industries
LAHORE: Universities and industries signed 10 memorandums of understanding (MoU) as part of government policy to develop linkages between the two institutions, at a function held at the Governor House.
The MoUs were signed in the presence of President Gen Pervez Musharraf and Punjab Governor Lt General (r) Khalid Maqbool. The president congratulated the universities and said that he hoped the new agreements would speedup the scientific, technological and economical progress of Pakistan.
Memorandums of Understanding
1. University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila and SKB (Rs 50 million) to provide technical training to 30 percent of civil engineering graduates, overseas training to 10 internees, scholarships for MSc and PhDs and establish R&D centre and laboratories
2. University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, SPEL (Pvt) Ltd and Huawei Pakistan (Pvt) Ltd (US$ 3 million) to teach latest engineering software (CAD/CAM/CAE), provide internship to 10 students and gold medals to top students, provide training to five faculty members in China and upgrade the university Telecommunication IT Center.
3. Islamia University, Bahawalpur and Bahria Town (Rs 29 million) to construct civil engineering department and establish a print media lab in the university Mass Communication Department.
4. Bahauddin Zikriya University, Multan and Bank Alfalah Bank (Rs 21.3 million) to provide soft student loans, 13 scholarships and internship programmes to top 10 students and the construct an Institute of Banking and Finance Block in the university.
5. Government College University, Faisalabad and Bank Alfalah (Rs 21.95 million) to provide soft loans to students, provide 13 scholarships and internship program to the 10 students and construct an Institute of Banking and Finance Block in the University.
6. Government College University, Faisalabad and SS International, Karachi (Rs 77.5 million) to construct a Professional Studies Block in the university.
7. University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore and Pakistan Tanners Association to provide equipment, internships and meritorious awards to university scientists and do scientific research on controlling hides.
8. Lahore College for Women University, Lahore, Pharmacies Labs, MICKO Industrial Chemicals Company and Himont Labs to provide chemicals, internships and scholarships and technical training to students and faculty.
9. Government College University, Lahore, LCCI and PPMA to provide hands-on training and internships to management graduates, funds for joint research projects, management consultancy training and exchange data.
10. University of the Punjab, Lahore, Irfan family and PPMA (Rs 15 million) to construct an Intellectual Property and International Trade Law Center, provide internships to pharmacy students, conduct research projects and exchange data.