Badami Bagh tragedy : Shahbaz Sharif orders judicial inquiry into the incident
* SSP, SPO made OSDs, DSP suspended
* Orders immediate arrest of elements involved in the incident
* Announces Rs 200,000 financial assistance for each family
LAHORE: Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, while announcing a financial assistance of Rs 200,000 for each family affected due to the Badami Bagh incident, has said that all displaced minority sisters and brothers will be rehabilitated in their homes on war footings and their houses will be repaired completely.
The chief minister also announced a judicial inquiry into the incident and said that the Punjab government was writing a letter to the Lahore High Court chief justice in this regard.
He said the government would fulfil all its responsibilities regarding this tragic incident and the mischievous elements involved in this incident would be taken to task. He said that legal action would be taken against those involved in provocation and animosity, and their challans would soon be submitted to the anti-terrorism court after registration of cases under the Anti-Terrorism Act.
The chief minister said that SSP Sohail Sukhera and SP Multan Khan had immediately been made OSDs, whereas the DSP and the SHO of the area had been suspended.
He expressed these views while addressing a press conference after a high-level meeting in Model Town, held to review all aspects of the tragic incident of Badami Bagh, on Saturday.
Addressing the press conference, the chief minister said that he had no words to condemn such an inhuman incident in Lahore. He said that causing loss to the properties of Christian brethren and torturing them is highly condemnable. He said that Pakistan belonged to every person who lived here. “Every person living here is a Pakistani, irrespective of religion, cast, creed or sect.”
He said it was lamentable that criminal action and violence against minority brethren had been taken in the name of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), who has been sent as a blessing for the entire humanity.
He said that the person accused of blasphemy had been arrested last night and an FIR had also been registered, but despite this, the barbarism demonstrated had no justification.
The chief minister said that a common citizen of Pakistan had a right to ask the responsible of this incident that what service they have done to Islam by causing loss to the property of innocent citizens and displacing them.
“Has Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) given a message of such treatment with our minority brethren?” he questioned.
Shahbaz said that he had no hesitation to say that the message of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was insulted.
He said that the process of providing financial assistance of Rs 200,000 to each affected family and immediate repair of damaged houses was being started from Saturday night. He announced that a camp was being set up in the affected area where all victim families would remain until their houses were completely repaired.
The chief minister said that the government would provide meal and water in this relief camp. He said that all the persons involved in this incident were being identified through video footages and their arrest would be ensured at all costs. The chief minister said that he had issued orders in this regard, while strict action would also be taken against the elements involved in provocation under the law, and they would not be spared at all.
He said that a committee headed by the law minister had been constituted, which would submit its report after reviewing the relief activities and progress of the case on a daily basis, and he himself would review its progress.
He urged the citizens, civil society members and intellectuals to fulfil their collective responsibilities with regard to minorities and play their active role for exposing and discouraging these elements. The chief minister made an appeal to ulema to come forward and play their role for creating awareness about the minorities’ rights and importance of tolerance in the Islamic society.
Replying to a question of a journalist, Shahbaz said that a judicial inquiry into the incident would determine those who showed negligence and “whosoever is found involved in this incident will not be spared”.
Replying to another question, the chief minister said that Pakistan is a country of all of us and protection of life and property of every citizen is the responsibility of the government. He said that the court would decide about the person to whom allegation had been levelled, but “today’s destruction and ransacking is not justified”. He said that there was already a negative impression regarding Pakistan before the world. “We have no respect in the comity of the nations and this incident is a stigma and a futile effort to mar Pakistan”.
The chief minister said with a view to any incident, police evacuated the Christian community from the area, but in spite of that, mischievous elements took this tragic action in which a number of police officers and officials were also injured.
He said that according to the initial report of district administration 150 houses were damaged and a survey is being conducted. However, after survey, final report will come fore but the government was starting a process of rehabilitation of the victims from Saturday night. Replying to a question, he said that there should be a collective approach for eradication of such incidents, and religious parties and leaders, including parliament, should think over it. staff report