Government to approach SC against Lal Masjid concessions
* Interior Ministry says govt to provide bulletproof vehicle to BB
ISLAMABAD: The government will file a review petition before the Supreme Court (SC), asking that the concessions given to the former clerics of Lal Masjid and Jamia Hafsa be withdrawn, Interior Ministry spokesman Brigadier (r) Javed Cheema told a weekly news briefing here on Tuesday.
Cheema said the Capital Development Authority (CDA) had allotted only 205 square yards of land to the former Lal Masjid administration to construct Jamia Hafsa, adding that the mosque administration encroached upon some land. He said the SC would be requested to withdraw all concessions it had given to the former Lal Masjid clerics in its verdict last week.
Cheema said the government would honour the SC order to reconstruct Jamia Hafsa – but for day-scholars only. “The government cannot fully implement the SC orders to construct the madrassa with hostel in the prevailing circumstances,” he said.
He called the appointment of a pro-Maulana Aziz cleric at the mosque “just a temporary arrangement”. A permanent appointment would be made on the recommendations of the Auqaf Department, he added.
He said Pakistan would raise its concerns with India regarding the Samjhota Express blasts in the second round of the upcoming Pakistan-India anti-terrorism talks starting from October 22.
Govt to provide bulletproof vehicle to BB: Regarding the return to Pakistan of former premier Benazir Bhutto, he said the government would provide her foolproof security – including a bulletproof vehicle - in Pakistan, Online reported. staff report