Incursions continue despite earthquake: India
SRINAGAR: Attacks by militants continue unabated despite the devastating earthquake last month, India has claimed.
“Despite the major earthquake on October 8, there has been no let up in infiltration bids,” said an Indian Army statement. The army had foiled some 39 attempts this year by the militants to cross the Line of Control (LoC), the statement said. “This resulted in the elimination of 147 militants along the LoC,” it said.
Last year Indian troops killed 75 militants during the same period in 40 infiltration attempts. However, no infiltrations had occurred near the crossing point along the LoC that India and Pakistan opened Monday, nor other points to be opened later this week, to allow relief to be moved across for survivors of the earthquake.
Meanwhile, in the latest bout of violence, militants killed on Sunday three civilians in Srinagar and the southern districts of Anantnag and Udhampur, the police said. Indian troops killed two militants in Anantnag and northern Kupwara district overnight, it added. afp