Latest

Improving supply chain likely to double Pakistan’s exports to UAE over $6bn


KARACHI: Pakistan’s Ambassador to United Arab Emirates (UAE) Asif Durrani has said Pakistan’s exports to UAE could be doubled from $3 billion to over $6 billion by focusing on improving the overall supply chain of goods being exported, particularly the perishable products.
Talking to President Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCCI) Abdullah Zaki and members Managing Committee Durrani pointed out current 72 hours of duration for Pakistani goods reaching UAE could be reduced to just 24 hours by taking steps towards improving the transportation system along with refrigeration facilities.
Pakistani exporters should maintain cold chain during transit of perishable goods, which would surely help in enhancing exports to UAE. Furthermore, the horticulture sector of Pakistan has the potential to capture sizeable share in UAE markets but unfortunately Pakistan’s exports of horticulture products to UAE were almost inexistent, he added.
Highlighting the significance of value-addition, he stressed Pakistani exporters willing to enhance their exports should focus on sending high quality products with proper processing and packaging to UAE, which would further raise demand for Pakistani products in UAE markets.
Around 1.3 million Pakistani expats are working in UAE, of which more than 80 percent are blue-collar workers whereas the remaining 20 percent are either white-collar workers or Pakistani investors. 
Pakistani investors have invested around $25 billion mostly in UAE’s real estate sector, he added.
Pakistan businessmen and industrialists should seriously focus on enhancing trade ties with their counterparts in UAE, which has emerged as the hub of entire Gulf region.
He informed total trade volume between Pakistan and UAE was $9 billion, of which Pakistan’s total imports stood at $6 billion while products worth $3 billion were being exported, depicting a trade deficit of $3 billion but this deficit offsets as Pakistan received workers’ remittances of $3 billion from UAE.
For World Expo 2020 in Dubai, around 600 hotels would be constructed that are going to create more than 95,000 jobs in the construction sector and Pakistanis are likely to benefit from this situation.
Over zero-response towards Made in Asia 2014 exhibition being organised in October 2014 in Abu Dhabi, he sought KCCI’s help in effectively promoting this exhibition. 
He urged KCCI members to densely participate in this event, which would provide a perfect opportunity to seek ways and means of how to further enhance trade ties.
Zaki emphasising the need to enhance trade relations between the two countries, requested the representatives of Pakistan’s Embassy in UAE to directly disseminate information to KCCI for prompt response.
Bilateral relations and mutually beneficial cooperation have progressed steadily ever since. Pakistan should take steps for enhancing its bilateral trade with UAE like signing Free Trade Agreement to enjoy reduced tariff rates on trading commodities as well, he added.

comments powered by Disqus
  • DailyTimes.Official
  • DailyTimes_DT
  • Rss
Sunday Magazine
Aaj Kal