2630 MW private power projects approved

2630 MW private power projects approved
AFP

ISLAMABAD: Approval was given to power projects totalling 2630 MW in the 95th meeting of the Board of PPIB held here today under the chairmanship of Federal Minister for Water & Power Khawaja Muhammad Asif.
The Board today approved issuance of Letter of Interest to a consortium of CWE Investment Corporation China and Trans Tech of Pakistan for establishing 590 MW Mahl Hydropower Project, to be located on Jhelum River at dual boundary of Punjab and Azad Jammu and Kashmir. The project has been awarded to the qualifying bidders, through invitation of proposals in the international and local media. The Board further approved the proposal and issuance of Letter of Intent to the Joint Venture of M/s Al Mirqab Capital of Qatar and Sino hydro Resources Ltd of China for the development of 2x660MW power coal fired project at Port Qasim, Karachi.
Minister of Water and Power said that our government is making maximum efforts to counter the nuisance of load shedding for which we are adopting multi-pronged strategies. The government is also prioritizing the use of indigenous resources for power generation. In the meeting today, other private sector hydropower projects were also considered. PPIB was allowed to invite through press, Expressions of Interests for 132 MW Rajhdani Hydropower Project to be located on Poonch River in district Kotli.
Nekherdim-Paur and Turtonus-Uzghor hydropower projects of 80 MW and 58 MW respectively in Chitral were also approved to be processed by inviting Expressions of Interest. The Board also approved invitation of proposals through competitive process of 350 MW Athmuqam raw site Hydropower project to be located at river Neelum, AJ&K. The Board was also informed that many foreign and local investors have shown interest in establishing IPPs in the Pakistan Power Park at Gadani. In this regard, standard operating procedures for selection of bidders were submitted to the Board which were duly approved.
In order to improve coordination and fast track implementation of IPPs, the government has decided that PPIB should execute and issue tri-partite Letters of Support (LOS) with concerned entities of the provincial governments/Azad Jammu & Kashmir/ Gilgit Baltistan and sponsors as co-signatories, for existing as well as future “private” or “public private partnership” power projects being implemented by these entities. In the meeting today, the Board approved the standardized tri-partite LOS. To encourage participation in developing power projects based on Thar coal, the Board supported amendments in Power Policy 2002, as suggested by the Government of Sindh/TCEB.
Managing Director PPIB explained to the Board that at present 29 IPPs with a total capacity of 8657 MW are operating and providing reliable power at higher level of efficiency and availability. As of today IPPs alone are providing 57% (5900 MW) of power to the national grid while the remaining 43% power is from public sector hydro and GENCOs. He informed the Board that taking cognizance of the policies of the present government; PPIB is focusing to attract investments in the hydropower sector as well. China has shown keen interest in the development of number of hydropower projects in Pakistan which includes 640 MW Karot Hydropower Project at Jhelum River, near Kotli.
PPIB is processing a mega hydropower project i.e. Suki Kinari Hydropower Project with a capacity of 840 MW on Kunhar River in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, PPIB has earlier issued LOS to 100 MW Gulpur Hydropower Project located on Poonch River in AJK, the project is sponsored by Korea South East Power Company (KOSEP), Sambu & Lotte, the 148 MW Patrind Hydropower Project on Kunhar River in AJK is sponsored by K-Water and financed by IFC, ADB, K-Exim Bank, the construction of project is in full swing. Three investors M/s CWE Investment Corporation, China, M/s Ratchaburi Electricity Generating Holding PCL, Thailand and M/s Sachal Engineering Works (Pvt) Ltd, Pakistan have submitted proposals for 100 MW Kotli hydropower project advertised recently; these proposals will now be evaluated by a committee on a fast track basis.

comments powered by Disqus
  • DailyTimes.Official
  • DailyTimes_DT
  • Rss
Sunday Magazine
Aaj Kal